Friday 24 December 2010

Establishment artist?




On a cold, snowy afternoon in the City I came across this cheery scene. I think it is probably the work of graffiti artist Ben Eine, who made his name with his ‘alphabet’ shop fronts, all over Shoreditch, Whitechapel and beyond. I’m sure that this installation will have been done with approval, because it is so complex and must have taken many days. Up close, I think I can detect five ‘layers’ of work, from the first background coating of the wall, to the final individual letters.

Last summer Barack Obama was presented with a Ben Eine painting by David Cameron. From the graffiti community to establishment artist, success has come to him as it has to his compatriot Banksy.

(Double-click on the photographs to enlarge them)

Some of Eine's alphabet work from 2005:




No comments:

Post a Comment