Sunday 8 September 2013

The Oregon coast





On Friday 30th August I left Portland, driving southeast to the coast, rejoining the 101 just north of Lincoln City.  I stopped here for my mid-morning coffee, at the 60's Cafe.   Great decor, old movie posters, Beatles LP covers, a juke box (playing The Troggs ) but lousy coffee.








I won't comment on every place I passed through or stopped in - I covered about 240 miles down to the Oregon border with California - nor will I post every photo.  There's only so many shots of the ocean that one can take in.






Yaquina Head lighthouse and interpretive centre, 3 miles north of Newport.  The lighthouse dates from 1873. 




I will mention the town of Newport, population 11,000, where I stayed the night of Friday 30th at Agate Beach. The date is significant, as it was the start of the Labor Day weekend.  Everywhere was very busy, with families taking the three-day break.  I really liked this little town, with the commercial fishing and haulage activities taking place on the same crowded street the locals and visitors use for shopping and dining.  I had f
irst class fish and chips at Mo's, one of four establishments they have on this coast.   In the middle of the Main Street, just on the water's edge, is a short floating dock with sea lions dozing on it. 








Yachats "the gem of the Oregon coast" didn't shine for me: no photo either.

Florence, another town of around 10,000 people, also caught my interest. While waiting for my lunchtime sandwich to be made, I browsed the wine section. 








There were a lot of bikers around, on the roads, travelling in pairs, and in the towns, gathered at watering holes, drinking beer.  This group and I had enjoyed breakfast in this little cafe.  


 I had sat at the bar in this cafe.  The lady next to me, early '50's, very smart, with her 80-ish father, chatted about London, my travels, the arts, growing her own organic fruit and veg, and so on. She then said " I hope you don't mind me asking, but we were watching a TV documentary.  Isn't your country being taken over by Muslims?"     I'm not often lost for words.


There were also many cyclists, right up and down the coastal highway. Some travelling solo, others in pairs, yet more road racing, and a few hardy souls with loaded panniers of camping kit.  I say hardy, because the temperature was usually in the high 20's, and quite punishing.



That full tank cost $ 65.31.



Gold Beach, a small town with a surprisingly large bookshop, and Rebecca's, serving  "damn fine coffee". (Agent Dale Cooper, for those who remember Twin Peaks



The west coast of America is at risk from tsunamis, and most places seem to have evacuation and other plans in place.


One last beach stop before I leave the state of Oregon, and I took this because I was fascinated by the lush greenery running right down to the sandy beach.  That's rare. 


Coming next.....



No comments:

Post a Comment